Thursday, November 4, 2010

Election Day with New Politics

NOV 2, 2010
Can I just say how much I love this band?! I've heard of them for awhile now, but never really knew what they were about. It's the only thing 'political' you're going to be able to capture my interest with, so what better way to spend election day than in a mosh pit of people ready to rock the night away. New Politics opened for 30 Seconds to Mars, who we were there to see. They were the second opener, and after about 2 hours of waiting in what felt like a trash compactor filled with Jared Leto obsessed 14 year old girls and spiky haired punk rock guys, this band was the much needed mental escape from what was becoming a physical nightmare.

Lead singer, David Boyd, was just like he describes in the song Nuclear War, a walking psycho. At first we were scared by his crazy antics on stage, but quickly you start to fall into the trance that his break dancing, head spinning, back flipping, poping, scrawny spastic body is doing all across the stage. It was reminiscent of one of those auditions on So You Think You Can Dance. One where at first you think it is just some idiot trying to get on national TV, but then you see he actually can dance, not just thinking he can.

The sound of this band is a little hard to put my finger on, but that's a good thing. Soren, the guitarist and vocalist is also extremely talented as a singer. His voice reminds me more of the bands I typically listen to such as The Bravery, The Killers or Weezer. However it's David's high energy, rap like lyrics that model the Beastie Boys, Rage Against the Machine or the Flobots, that help set this band apart for me. These guys are from Copenhagen and relocated to Brooklyn to break into the American music scene. I'm so glad they did because I'm still waiting on some of my favorite European bands to make it to the states.

The energy of the pit for the entire set felt like we were stuck in the 90's with House of Pain's Jump Around. A drop of David's sweat flung directly into my eye, blinding me for a brief moment, but giving me something to laugh about after all of the rock shows I've been to. He also grabbed my hand for the fist pumping crowd anthem, Yeah Yeah Yeah, pulling me on top of the girls standing in front of me, but hey, that's rock.

My husband and I met David after we escaped from the War that 30 Seconds to Mars was creating in the mosh pit. He's a cool guy, and of course struck a pose for the camera. The anticipation of their next show is killing me. Thankfully they are back in town with Neon Trees in just a few weeks.

Download the song Love is A Drug for a great upbeat mix of The Bravery battle the Beastie Boys.

I would also like to mention that CB7 opened the show first and was a fun 80's style band channeling the likes of Depeche Mode. I wish I could've grabbed one of their CDs before they sold out because I can't find their music to download right now.


Concert Count: 179


http://www.newpoliticsrock.com/us/home


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHRIS CORNELL Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

THE KOOKS PLAYLIST


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones